A bathroom is one of the most crucial home sections, but bathroom renovation is what most homeowners ignore until they observe broken tiles, leaking pipes, or mold infestation. Altering the existing layout and pipework is no less than a challenge.
Perhaps, this is why most people seem reluctant to renovate a bathroom. Moreover, renovating a bathroom and making it look brand new requires a considerable budget and hiring a professional.
However, to actualize a practical and hyper-functional yet luxurious and serene powder room, bathroom renovation is essential!
Here’s a complete guide to transforming your dull and uninviting bathroom into a luxe and modern space. Before learning the tips, you need to know what bathroom renovation is.
What is Bathroom Renovation?
A bathroom redoing means you want to introduce various changes to the appearance of your bathroom. The homeowners focus on modifying the existing design, layout, and overall appearance. So, a bathroom renovation project implies changes that entirely change the look and feel of your comfort station.
What is the Need for Bathroom Renovation?
Bathroom remodeling is not the thing the homeowners think about on a priority basis. There are always some tell-tale signs that reflect that bathroom renovation is due in the future.
Let’s peep into the most obvious signs that invite you to update the interior design of your bathroom.
- The interior layout of your bathroom is outdated.
- You are facing a plumbing problem and want to fix it.
- To maximize your home’s sale value
- Sustainability and efficiency
- Safety reasons
- You want to enhance storage space.
- You want to make your bathroom accommodate your family.
- Sprinkle a coat of protection
- You want a more aesthetic and appealing bathroom.
What Are the Steps in a Bathroom Renovation?
Many questions arise when you go for bathroom remodeling like
- What are the stages of a bathroom renovation?
- How do you start a bathroom renovation?
- What to do when your bathroom is being renovated?
- Is your current bathroom ‘just plain ugly?’
- What are the most-wanted accomplishments you want to attain when finishing the bathroom renovation?
- Will you need professional help from designers?
- Can you plan the bathroom remodeling process all by yourself?
- What are the present pain points you want to get rid of?
Renovating a bathroom is a pretty daunting task. It requires a handsome investment so you cannot initiate this process without proper planning.
Here are some essential steps to follow for a complete bathroom renovation. Hope these guidelines will help you save money and time and achieve the desired results. Here’s how.
- Plan the layout as per your family’s requirements.
- Then go for the demolition process.
- Get plumbing adjustments with the help of a professional plumber.
- Perform electrical work.
- Splash neutral color on the walls and ceiling.
- Install tiles that may create an attractive match with paint colors.
- Adjust the shower door.
- Install lights and never forget the exhaust fan.
- Position the sink and other fixtures.
- Install new storage cabinets and vanities.
- Take help from your creative department and carry out a DIY bathroom renovation.
What Does a Bathroom Remodel Include?
A bathroom renovation project requires thoughtful consideration and significant financial investment. Sometimes, you need to focus on some unexpected factors before diving in. Here’s a carefully crafted checklist you must go through before undertaking the bathroom remodeling process.
- Slip-resistant floor
- Tiles Vs paint
- Lighting arrangement
- Shower and tub drain size
- Shower flooring perfect to drain
- Insulated and under cabinet plumbing
- Consider all other essentials
- Evaluate your budget
- Add a little more than you expect to spend.
- Stay on track.
Bathroom Remodeling Vs. Renovation
A bathroom remodeling refers to changes done to transform the appearance of your shower room. It focuses more on altering the existing layout, design, and overall appearance. It has nothing to do with structural changes to the size of your powder room. Instead, it focuses on prettifying the already present items such as cabinets, vanity, countertops, etc.
While renovation goes beyond transforming only the look and feel of the space. It brings drastic changes to the design and deals with all kinds of minor and major improvements. It adds to the functionality of your bathroom and also elevates your home’s value if you intend to sell it soon.
Renovations change the size and structure of a room and give it a new appeal. Hence bathroom renovation and remodeling are altogether different undertakings as per my point of view. Do you agree?
Renovating a Bathroom - What to Do First?
A bathroom is a frequently used space where all the family members start and finish each day. But this is the area that homeowners mostly ignore when performing other home improvements.
Do you feel embarrassed to offer your dated bathroom to your guests? If yes, then now is the time to renovate your bathroom. Proper planning is a must-have to step ahead for bathroom renovation.
Whatever the changes you want to make in your shower station, budget is the first and foremost thing to consider. You cannot assess how much investment you need until you plan the design elements.
If you are creative enough, you can go for the do-it-yourself route, particularly for getting your active participation in the bathroom improvement process, you can save as much as a few thousand dollars.
Small Bathroom Renovation Ideas
Is your bathroom small?
Have you acknowledged that your washroom needs renovation?
You aspire to make your bathroom more inviting and appealing but don’t know exactly where to start. You can spare sufficient space in your small bathroom by moving the bathtub to the end of the room. Another way to change the ambiance of your bathroom can be replacing the dull and old countertops.
There is yet another secret to saving space in your bathroom. This is done by shifting all new cabinetry on the walls at a reasonable height. Having done all these steps, now turn this space into more gorgeous and refreshing by placing green friends at various locations.
When renovating a small bathroom, always remember the ‘less is more’ formula!
How to Renovate a Bathroom on a Budget?
Bathroom renovation is quite an expensive process. However, the upgraded bathrooms take your home’s value to the next level without killing your bank if you involve your creativity in the process. Here are some extremely easy and cost-effective tips that will allow you to improve your bathroom’s layout without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Whatever the changes you want to introduce to your bathroom design the first step should always be to plan the design, timeline, and budget.
- If plumbing is functioning well, no need to change it.
- Tiling your bathroom yourself can save you a lot of money.
- For on-budget bathroom renovation, you can keep some furniture items and hardware in place. Just update them to brighten up the space.
- Sprinkle a coat of paint.
- Bring in nature.
How to Renovate a Bathroom Yourself?
It’s a good principle to do a thing you know how to do. It saves you tons of time and money. When it comes to revamping your bathroom, all homeowners have to hire the professional services of plumbers and electricians. Other than plumbing changes and major wiring, the DIYers can take the entire project into their hands.
But remember that an expert contractor can renovate your restroom much better and faster than you. So keep in mind these advantages and cost-saving when deciding on the bathroom renovation.
Bathroom Renovation Timeline
Never think that all bathroom renovations can fall into the same timeline. Larger renovations including significant structural work may complete in a longer time than smaller and simple renovations. However, certain obstacles may delay the foreseen schedule.
So you should keep in view the unexpected interruptions and breaks. The overall summary of the timeline is given below.
- Demolition of the old, messy, and dusty bathroom will take two days
- Spare two more days for minor repairs (e.g. removing wrongly placed wiring, filling holes in the wall, or dealing with damaged floorboards before the actual work starts.
- Reserve two days for electrical fittings.
- It may take 2-4 days for plastering and drying before painting.
- Painting might take 2 to 3 days.
- Tiling also requires 2 to 3 working days.
- Then comes the fitting and flooring which will take around 2-3 days.
The addition of a new bathroom is a beneficial investment for your home. So you should not mind the delays that may occur during the process.
How much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
On average bathroom renovation cost is $10,000. The most budget-friendly remodel requires a homeowner to invest $2500, while the luxurious and high-end bathroom renovation projects may exceed $30,000. Here’s the estimated price guide for accessories. Pick the products as per your wants and means.
Cabinets $270 - $400
Shower $500 - $5,000
Toilet $80 - $5,00
Countertops $200 - $1000
Plumbing $250 - $1500
Paint $30 - $60
Flooring $45 - $200
DIY Bathroom Renovation Tips
If you want to go for a DIY bathroom remodel, you should imagine around $2500 worth of investment. Here’s how you can accomplish the process.
- Set an instant tone of your powder room’s vibe and style by updating the walls.
- Install an excellent mirror that reflects plenty of light.
- Through vanity, you can show off your style and artistic nature and can boost the inner ambiance of your restroom from drab to fab.
- Remove the shower surround tiles and incorporate new ones.
- Lighting is one of the most essential aspects of bathroom renovation projects. So put your hand on exquisite bathroom lighting if you want to make a difference.
- Bathroom remodels should also include upgrading hardware and fixtures.
- Add more fun with beautiful functional details.
How often Should You Renovate Your Bathroom?
The answer to the question ‘how frequently should you renovate your bathroom’ is quite simple.
You can decide on remodeling your bathroom from the moment you no longer like its appearance and atmosphere. However, according to an estimation, a bathroom renovation should be carried out every four to five years.
In a 4-5 years’ span, the paint colors fade, the fixtures begin to cause problems, and you may face the leaking problem as well. And when you get sick of the look and feel of inner ambiance, it is time to revamp your bathroom. If you intend to sell your home, then you should commence the redoing process as soon as possible.
What is the Return on Investment for a Bathroom Renovation?
Bathroom renovation is an amazing opportunity to build your dream bathroom and prepare it for the market. The ROI depends on the type of bathroom remodel you choose.
A mid-range remodel can bring about 64% ROI while an upscale renovation offers an ROI advantage of about 57%. Remember, if you want to sell your house, try to construct a vibrant bathroom. It has become a social media sensation and seems to add about $2800 to your home’s selling price.
How to Remodel a Guest Bathroom?
A guest bathroom is one of the most important locations in every home. Through this home section, you can make or break an impression on your guests. So the homeowners should keep the guest zone clean and presentable all the time as you don’t know when your relative can land your place.
Like your family’s bathroom, it is not the frequently used space so its renovation won’t break your bank. The walls and floor of the guest bathroom usually don’t need to be replaced every time you start renovation because of their off and on use.
However, you should replace the fixtures with the most appealing and attractive ones. Turn your guest bathroom into a more illuminated space that your guests may feel inspired to utter ‘wow compliments’.
Also, remove the old towels with brand new and sprinkle neutral paint to cater to your space a modern and luxurious vibe. You should not forget to arrest your guests’ attention by spreading green friends in your shower room.
Make sure that your guest bathroom has a proper-sized window to capture fresh air and bright light. This is how you can renovate your bathroom without wasting much time and money.
Bathroom Renovation Before and After
After bathroom renovation, you can assess the quick difference between before and after atmosphere. Renovation transforms your unappealing and dull bathroom into a swanky space. If before renovating, your restroom is small, dark, and unattractive, it is a clear message that after remodeling, it will look bigger, brighter, and more stylish.
Painting it with off-white shades, you can turn it into a refreshing spa retreat. So a spirit of willingness and creativity is required than an investment to change your outdated art deco into something vintage-inspired.
Glass and Mirror Bathroom Renovations
Glass and mirror bathroom renovations rock your interior design and they won’t break your bank. Installation of a big mirror in your shower room transforms it into a space that you can’t stop loving. Many professional designers resolve the small space issue with mirrors. These on-budget gadgets reflect light and give the illusion of a larger space.
You can also fit mirrored cabinets on the walls and take advantage of both the world __ mirror and storage. If you love the full-length style, there’s no harm in sticking a floor-to-ceiling mirror.
You can personalize your space by bringing in multiple mirrors. So glass and mirror bathroom renovations are a chic and fun way to inject classic style into your personal space!
Bathroom Renovation Mistakes
A bathroom renovation project is one of the most challenging and expensive tasks for every home. However, with proper planning and research, you grab tremendous rewards for yourself and your family. Often the experienced remodelers are stuck in the same issues leading to extra costs, delays, and an underwhelming finish.
Here’s the list of some common bathroom renovation mistakes. Just have a glimpse of them and try not to repeat them when going for the bathroom remodeling.
- Lack of preparation and planning.
- Choosing an improper layout, contrary to your space.
- Mixing your style.
- Focusing not on storage.
- Not paying adequate attention to ventilation.
- Poor lighting.
- Splashing the wrong paint.
- Sticking mirrors and other fixtures at the wrong angles.
- Messing up the waterproofing.
- Unrealistic budget.
Avoid these mistakes during a bathroom renovation and customize your powder room according to your taste and needs.
Hope all the top tips narrated above about bathroom renovation will help you build a stylish, luxurious, and cheerful washroom. Follow these tricks, save your precious time and money, and boost the market value of your sweet home!